Not yet rated Add your review
The Burren Backroom Series Volume 1 favours the former – with no small degree of chutzpah. Recorded between 2011 and 2014 in Boston pub The Burren, owned by musicians Tommy McCarthy and Louise Costello, it’s a fine snapshot of the mix of visiting musicians and bands, from Lúnasa and Andy Irvine to Sharon Shannon, Liz Carroll and Dervish. This is a collection for anyone seeking tinctures of each musician, as it’s a bird’s eye view of the complex tapestry that defines the tradition. Highlights are many and include Téada with Séamus Begley and Sliabh Notes, along with the Battlefield Band.
1. DERVISH: The Creggan White Hare
2. DERMOT BYRNE, FLORIANNE BLANCKE & BRID HARPER: The Monaghan Jig; The Templehouse
3. THE TEETOTALERS: Green Fields of Woodford, The Nightingale, The Castle
4. SEAN KEANE: The Man from Connemara
5. LIZ CARROLL with JAKE CHARRON: The Yellow Tinker; The Yellow Pantsuit
6. SLIABH NOTES: Polkas - John Collins’ Fancy; Eileen’s Polka; Ned Kelly’s Polka
7. ANDY IRVINE: Farewell to Kellswater
8. JACQUELINE McCARTHY & TOMMY KEANE: The Trip Over the Mountains
9. BATTLEFIELD BAND: Mrs MacDougall's; The Swallow's Tail; The Scholar; Lord McConnell Of Lough Erne & Lochend
10. TEADA with SEAMUS BEGLEY: Cill Mhuire
11. SHARON SHANNON, TOMMY McCARTHY, LOUISE COSTELLO & JIM MURRAY: The Abbey Reel Touch Me If You Dare
12. CARLOS NUNEZ: Aires De Pontevedra
13. ROBBIE O’CONNELL: Farewell Until Tomorrow
14. LUNASA: The Minor Bee Set: Minor Slip; Ronde de Loudeac (each of these tracks trad. arr. Trevor Hutchinson/Donogh Hennessy/Sean Smyth/Kevin Crawford /Cillian Vallely), The Red Bee.