Not yet rated Add your review
Mícheál Darby Ó Fátharta An Rithim Réidh CD
After a seventeen year hiatus, Connemara melodeon player, Mícheál Darby Ó Fátharta, is back on the music scene with a new album, An Rithim Réidh. The title, roughly translated as ‘the steady rhythm’ is an apt description of Mícheál’s, distinctive melodeon playing: an unassuming, mellow, easy going style that underscores a deep respect and understanding of the instrument.
Reels and jigs are to the fore in this compilation which also includes a selection of waltzes barn dances, hornpipes and a slow air, all of which have a personal resonance for Ó Fátharta, having heard and assimilated them over the years. Not surprisingly, Ireland’s greatest melodeon and box players, many of whom are mentioned in the concise bilingual notes, are among Mícheál’s main sources of inspiration.
Mícheál is joined by Donogh Hennessy on guitar, Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh on flute, Trevor Hutchinson on double base and Dessie Kelleher on banjo.
1. Poirt: The Furze In Bloom / Joe cooley's
2. Flaingeanna: The Road To Glounthane / Joe Banne's
3. Ríleanna: The West Clare Reel / The Earl's Chair
4. Válsa: Midnight On The Water
5. Poirt: The Blarney Pilgrim / Connaught Man's Rambles
6. Cornphíopaí: Caisleán An Óir / The Liverpool Hornpipe
7. Ríleanna: The Galway Reel / Sailor On The Rock
8. Fonn Mall: Cúirt Bhaile Nua
9. Poirt: Brian Rooney's / Munster Buttermilk
10. Ríl Mhall: The Glen Of Aherlow
11. Poirt: The Humours Of Rahey / An Seanduine Dóite
12. Ríleanna: The Swallow's Tail / The Pigeon On The Gate